Using a Spiromax inhaler
- Hold the inhaler upright with the red mouthpiece cover at the bottom. You do not need to shake your inhaler.
- Fold down the mouthpiece cover until you hear a loud ‘click’. This indicates the dose is measured and your inhaler is ready to use.
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth and breathe out fully.
- Place the mouthpiece between your teeth without biting and close your lips to form a good seal. Do not cover air vents.
- Breathe in through your mouth deeply and forcefully. Hold your breath for five seconds, or as long as comfortable.
- While holding your breath, remove the inhaler from your mouth.
- Breathe out slowly and gently, away from the inhaler and close the mouthpiece cover.
- If more than one dose is required, repeat steps 1 to 6 above.
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit out. This reduces side effects such as a husky voice, sore throat, or fungal growth inside the mouth (oral thrush).
- The inhaler looks similar to a metered dose inhaler (“puffer” inhaler), however it is dry powder inhaler and the usage steps are different.
- Do not open or close the mouthpiece cover unless you are about to use your inhaler; if the mouthpiece is closed, the dose is lost.
Caring for your Spiromax inhaler
Do not wash your Spiromax inhaler. Keep your Spiromax dry and clean. If necessary, you may wipe the mouthpiece of your Spiromax after use with a dry cloth or tissue.
When to get a new DuoResp Spiromax
The dose indicator, on the rear of the device, shows the number of doses remaining in even numbers only. When the numbers become red in the window you should start a new inhaler.