Using an Accuhaler
- Open the device by holding the outer case. Using the thumb grip, slide the cover open as far as it will go.
- Face the mouthpiece towards you.
- Push the lever away from the mouthpiece until you hear the ‘click’.
- Sit upright, tilting the head back (as if you are sniffing).
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth and breathe out fully.
- Insert the mouthpiece into the mouth ensuring that your lips firmly seal the mouthpiece. Keep inhaler horizontal.
- Breathe in fully, remove the Accuhaler from the mouth and hold your breath for about five seconds or as long as comfortable.
- While holding your breath, remove the inhaler from your mouth.
- Breathe out slowly and gently, away from the inhaler.
- Slide the thumb grip back over the mouthpiece.
- Repeat if second dose required.
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit out if you are using a corticosteroid-containing Accuhaler. This reduces side effects such as a husky voice, sore throat, or fungal growth inside the mouth (oral thrush).
Caring for your Accuhaler
- Wipe the mouthpiece with a clean, dry tissue.
- Do not wash the mouthpiece or allow it to get wet when cleaning.
- Close the cover when not in use.
When to get a new Accuhaler
There is a dose counter window on the side of the Accuhaler. When the window turns red, it is time to get a new Accuhaler.